www.orta.net

 italiano  orta-see

il lago d'orta, the most romantic of italian lakes il più romantico dei laghi italiani

 INFO

isola.gif (3089 byte)

dot_b.gif (48 byte)home
dot_b.gif (48 byte) pictures
dot_b.gif (48 byte) history
dot_b.gif (48 byte) museums
dot_b.gif (48 byte) island s. giulio
dot_b.gif (48 byte) medieval ambone
dot_b.gif (48 byte) sacro monte
dot_b.gif (48 byte) activities
dot_b.gif (48 byte) nietzsche & orta
dot_b.gif (48 byte) culinary curiosit.
dot_b.gif (48 byte) cookingClasses  gif-new.gif (1002 byte)
dot_b.gif (48 byte) orta's tourist map
dot_b.gif (48 byte) walking
dot_b.gif (48 byte) dead's village
dot_b.gif (48 byte) events
dot_b.gif (48 byte) virtual tour

dot_b.gif (48 byte) your video
dot_b.gif (48 byte) webcam update.gif (395 byte)

dot_b.gif (48 byte) fond. calderara
dot_b.gif (48 byte) asilo bianco

dot_b.gif (48 byte) wine's places
dot_b.gif (48 byte) richard bagot
dot_b.gif (48 byte) lake cycle route

dot_b.gif (48 byte) histoire little_french_flag.jpg (723 byte)

 TOURIST INFO

dot_b.gif (48 byte)hotel/restaur.
dot_b.gif (48 byte) wine bar
dot_b.gif (48 byte) campings
dot_b.gif (48 byte) flats to rent
dot_b.gif (48 byte) shopping
dot_b.gif (48 byte) real estate
dot_b.gif (48 byte) beaches
dot_b.gif (48 byte) to cross the lake
dot_b.gif (48 byte) places to go
dot_b.gif (48 byte) rent a car
dot_b.gif (48 byte) boat rental
dot_b.gif (48 byte) free camper (it)

dot_b.gif (48 byte) emergency

dot_b.gif (48 byte) guided tours
dot_b.gif (48 byte) wedding in orta

arrow_1.gif (211 byte) send postcard
arrow_1.gif (211 byte) words from orta
dot_b.gif (48 byte) free wallpaper

L'ISOLA DI SAN GIULIO © by Marco Mombello e Anna Mula

the island of St. Giulio
(lago d'orta)

 


According to the legend, the Island of St. Giulio was dominated by a big serpent that destroyed everything. But when St. Giulio, that had the power to command over the waves, the storms, the wild animals and the human beings, arrived near the lake , waving his hand he chased away the dangerous menacing animal.

safety.jpg (5293 byte)

small1.jpg (8191 byte)

small2.jpg (4071 byte)

small3.jpg (3730 byte)

small4.jpg (4202 byte)

small6.jpg (4730 byte)


He reached the Island journeying over the water on his cloack guided by his staff. The big reptile disappeared and St. Giulio, tired and near to his death, thought that the island was the right place to build his hundredth and last church dedicated to the Holy Apostles. The Island of San Giulio is today a place of great misticism. Here was born on 962 William of Volpiano, during the siege to Queen Willa by Emperor Otto, King Berengario II's wife, who had taken the Island from the Bishop of Novara. The big central building was a Castle. The island was the governor 's seat that represented the bishop. On 1842 it was destroyed to build on it a seminary. Now there is a Benedictin monastery that helps giving more mistic power to a place that is by nature immersed in the silence.
Between 1593 and 1615, a decisive role in the continuation of the project was played by the Bishop of Novara, Carlo Bescapè; he was concerned that the complex should be a strictly organised centre of devotion, in line with the ideas which had inspired the Council of Trento, and more particulary with the interpretation of the Counter-Reformation given by Carlo Borromeo in the diocese of Milan.        



For example, he took paints to ensure that the episodes of the life of St. Francis of Assisi - the chosen theme of the devotional itinerary - were correctly illustrated, and to encourage the faithful in devotion and the elevation of the spirit, inspecting every stage of the work in progress and giving precise instructions as to the scenes to be represented inside each chapel. Furthermore, he set up a body, the fabbriceria, a kind of committee of works, to administer the funds which were donated or willed towards the completion of the project. The overall plan of work, including the choice of the site of each chapel and the lay-out of the paths and the vegetation, was made by the Capuchin architect Cleto of Castelletto Ticino, who worked in close collaboration with Bishop Bescapè. The first chapels were thus executed with small, intimate groups of terracotta figures representing simple people, and decorated with frescoes whose key characteristic was their descriptive tone, intended as a clear, easily understandable way of recounting to the faithful the story of the Saint who had modelled his life on Christ's.
The Basilica of San Giulio was originally founded by St. Giulio in 390. During the siege of Otto 1st (956 - 962) the church was seriously damaged and only the central apse was saved. After year 962 the canons had the privilege on the territory of the Island signed by Otto the Great , so they dedicated themselves to the reconstruction of the church. The tower was added during the 11th - 12th century.
   
In the Basilica the frescoes were certainly begun very early, and re-done at various times. Of the datables the oldest frescoe is aged 1421. But the greatest work of art in the Basilica is the ambo. The pulpit is carved out of grey-green serpentine from the Oira quarry. The sculptures represent the Evangelists. The figure sculpted among the eagle and the lion is probably Guglielmo of Volpiano.

The elegant houses on the lake were the canon's residences: In 1763 each of them was called after a Saint to recognise them easily. During the month of June, in Villa Tallone takes place the Festival of Ancient Music, now at its 15th edition. This prestigious event is organized by the Association "Amici della Musica" of Novara. During the Sundays of September take place the Piano Concerts of the "Settembre musicale di San Giulio".

The famous Medioeval Ambone
(photos & description)

Island's alleys (photo by A. Piazzai)

aleorta1.jpg (25526 byte)

aleorta3.jpg (28501 byte)

aleorta2.jpg (19593 byte)

The Basilica's frescoes (flickr) - click here